Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Saturday Brew: Simic for those who are feeling green and blue. (Standard)

In case it has not become clear, I love playing with blue and green cards. They are just my favorite. When it comes to Standard, I just want to have to fun. Since my favorite red two casting 2/1 Lightning Mauler is going to rotating out, I might not want to play mono red anymore. I just want to have fun right now. I'm going to play Simic.

Simic is losing one of my favorite creatures, Snapcaster Mage, along with some other cards. Theros should bring some cards for us to use.

Some of the ones I like are: Horizon Chimera, Temple of Mystery, Omenspeaker, Prognostic Sphinx, Thassa, Boon Satyr, Bow of Nylea, and Mistcutter Hydra.

As well, here are of the cards I like that are going to be sticking around: Aetherling, Cloudfin Raptor, Cyclonic Rift, Deathrite Shaman, Drakewing Krasis, Dryad Militant, Experiment One, Gyre Sage, Judge's Familiar, Nimbus Swimmer, Prime Speaker Zegana, Renegade Krasis, Scavenging Ooze, Shambleshark, Simic Charm, Skylasher, and Zameck Guildmage.

I think what I want to do here is build around a card so make sure it all works together. The most obvious choice is probably Zameck Guildmage. He is the Simic guildmage in this block after all.

Zameck Guildmage: This guy is a 2/2 for blue and green. If you pay a blue and a green then each creature you control enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter on it. Also, if you pay a different blue and green and remove a +1/+1 counter from a creature you control and draw a card. I really like this card.

Let's see what we can do.

Evolve creatures have to be the center point of this deck. Who would have guessed since that's the Simic mechanic for this return to the Ravnica. What evolve creatures would I like to play?

1cmc: Cloudfin Raptor and Experiment One
2cmc: Gyre Sage and Shambleshark
3cmc: Renegade Krasis and Battering Krasis
4cmc: Fathom Mage

I'd be happy running any of these creatures. I'm not really sure what kind of curve I'm going for here. We have to have other cards in our deck. So, let's see what other spells we can come up with.

1cmc: None
2cmc: Simic Charm, Cyclonic Rift
3cmc: Thassa(If I have enough blue), Bred for the Hunt, Dissolve, Drakewing Krasis
4cmc: Horizon Chimera
5cmc: Prognostic Sphinx, Urban Evolution

Bow of Nylea: I really like this card, but it really isn't Simic-y. I'm unsure of this so far.

Let's see what I can come up with.

Lands: 24
4x Breeding Pool
4x Temple of Mystery
7x Island
9x Forest

Creatures: 28
4x Zameck Guildmage
4x Experiment One
4x Gyre Sage
4x Shambleshark
4x Drakewing Krasis
4x Renegade Krasis
3x Horizon Chimera
1x Prognostic Sphinx

Spells: 8
4x Cyclonic Rift
3x Urban Evolution
1x Simic Charm

Or maybe this

Lands: 24
4x Breeding Pool
4x Temple of Mystery
8x Island
8x Forest

Creatures: 17
4x Gyre Sage
4x Renegade Krasis
4x Zameck Guildmage
4x Horizon Chimera
1x Prognostic Sphinx

Spells: 19
4x Cyclonic Rift
4x Urban Evolution
4x Simic Charm
1x Bred for the Hunt
4x Dissolve
2x Bow of Nylea

These decks seem silly. I really like these decks. How good will they be? I'm not sure. Also, I do not know which deck I'll end up playing. Either way, if I can manage to get some Standard tournaments in, I will update my list and report on it.

Thank you,
Philip

1 comment:

  1. Firstly, I have zero experience with competitive standard, so take everything I say with a massive grain of salt.
    I really like Bow of Nylea with Renegade Krasis. If everybody else already has a counter (which won't be unusual here I guess) then it means you can pay two mana to put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control. Every turn too! I'm not sure how consistently they'll both come out together, but they're both cards which serve other useful purposes in the deck so it's not like they aren't helpful drawn separately.
    What concerns me is that your top end might not be high enough - I could see the two proposed decklists consistently getting out a pretty scary number of 3/3 or 4/4 creatures, but by the time you've done so your opponents might be fielding more powerful threats. From what I can make of it, overloading a Cyclonic Rift would most often be what wins you the game, but you might sometimes find yourself staring down some slightly bigger creatures and unable to swing until you draw some bounce spells to deal with them.
    Maybe with Gyre Sage and Urban Evolution you'll be consistently hitting enough mana to bring in something like Ætherling (whose flicker ability repeatedly triggers evolve) or Prime Speaker Zegana (who'll always evolve all you creatures due to entering with power and toughness one larger than the current highest power among creatures you control). I've really enjoyed using a one-off Giant Adephage in my kitchen-table evolve deck, triggering evolve again off of each token it creates, but it doesn't have a way to protect itself like Ætherling and doesn't do something when it enters play like the Prime Speaker, so it's probably not the best choice for competitive play.

    ReplyDelete